"Are your thoughts and beliefs about meditation holding you back?" with Teacher Michael Stavrinides.
Updated: Apr 12, 2020
DAY 2 - Date 3rd April 2020
Are your thoughts and beliefs about meditation holding you back?
With Teacher Michael Stavrinides.
Continuing from Day 1, and looking further and getting more understanding about the possibility that why some people have a resistance to meditating and mindfulness.
We now look at how to become aware of your thoughts and beliefs about meditation and mindfulness.
Many core Beliefs are created from very early in our lives, between the ages of 0 - 7 years old. Over these early years we are like sponges, absorbing information to help us live and survive in these new surroundings that we find ourselves.
The information we absorb creates our beliefs, and this information in our early years comes mainly from observing and noticing our parents, main care gives and those close to us. By us watching and observing how these people react to situations and events and interact with each other, other people and the world around them, we kind of create a blue print set of beliefs for us to start living our lives. We build up our own “So called” beliefs and ways of interacting and dealing with events and situations etc...
So, in short, most of our Beliefs and very importantly core beliefs are the beliefs of others.
So how does this relate to having a possible “resistance to meditating and/or mindfulness” you may be asking?
In basic terms, Your subconscious mind may be holding a core belief that meditating and mindfulness is for example “to difficult” or “only for spiritual people” or “a waste of time” etc…..
Even if your (conscious mind) your everyday aware thinking mind, wants to try to practice meditation and/or mindfulness, the core beliefs of your subconscious mind will usually take control and sabotage any attempts to practice meditation and/or mindfulness.
So, what can I do now to find out if I have a negative core belief about practicing meditation and/or mindfulness, and if I do how can I change it, I hear you say?
Here is something you can do today…
1. Let’s say for instance you now decide that in 2 hours you will sit and meditate for 10 minutes. From now until then become aware of any negative thoughts or things popping into your head that maybe putting obstacles for you not to meditate in 2 hours, as soon as you notice one write it down on a note pad, or on your mobile phone note pad app. (This it a very basic form of “Thought journaling”)
2. Let’s say for example a reoccurring thought that keeps popping into your mind is “I just don’t have enough time to meditate today, I’m just too busy.”
3. You may have an unknowing core belief that “meditation is just a waste of time.”
4. A basic way for you to question and challenge this belief is to first ask yourself
· “Why do I believe this?”
· “How did you adopt this belief, from TV, social media etc..?”
· “Who else do you know believes this, and are they a creditable source of information?”
5. Now, using this as an example, take some time and research “how daily meditation helps you better manage and structure your daily life” When doing this research make sure you use credible sources.
6. This studying and research plants the seeds for creating a new belief, that may sound like, “by doing a daily meditation, I actually create more free time because it helps me better structure and manage my day”
7. When this belief has been created, the resistance to meditate will slowly disappear and you will then perceive meditation as an important part of your day, and look forward to it.
8. This new belief may need continued work and reinforcement to turn it into a core belief, but with this new found tool, you can start today to empower yourself and take your power back.
PLEASE NOTE: This is only a basic example of a thought journal and how to create a new core belief, but it is a great start for you to start to understand and believe that it is possible, and you have the power to do it if you want to….
ALSO PLEASE NOTE: You may not even be aware that you have negative, destructive, self-sabotaging beliefs, unless you put the time and work into questioning, inspecting and analysing your own belief system.
(In future teaching days we will expand on how we have created beliefs and thought patterns throughout the whole of our lives, and how to also create new more positive beliefs and core beliefs that empower us.)
If you have any questions please post them in the “comments” section below and I will do my best to answer them for you.
For more great insights and posts like this visit my BLOG
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW
Find out more about Michael Stavrinides
Click on the link below
Michael mobile: (+357) 99447312
(Also Whatsapp and Viber)
Visit our website
click on the link below
© 2020 by Michael Stavrinides